Cooking Thyme – Korean Beef
Serves 4, or 2 with leftovers
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 TBSP sesame oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Red pepper flakes (measure this with your heart)
- 2 cups rice
- 2 cups water
- Chopped veggies of your choice
- Start by washing and chopping up your vegetables.
- In a bowl, mix brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- Add sesame oil and minced garlic to a pan. Cook garlic until browned.
- Add the beef, break into small pieces.
- Add rice and water to a separate pot. Cook.
- When beef is halfway done, add the brown sugar/soy sauce mix to pan. Stir.
- Add veggies to pan. Let all those amazing ingredients get to know each other!
- Once meat, veggies, and rice are finished cooking: serve, and enjoy!
Tristan Layne Tapscott has been dubbed the “Quad Cities’ P.T. Barnum” and although the person who initially said it meant it as an insult, he happily accepts the title.